Welcome to whatever is on my mind!

Some people use the term "nonsense" but I prefer to use the phrase "uncommonly sensed" because it's more reflective of creative types.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Waste Land




Normally documentaries are pretty much only useful for helping me to fall asleep.  Except documentaries about fine artists.  For some reason I love these.  I’ve been watching them while I run on the treadmill and it really makes the time go by for me.
Since Netflix can read my mind and knows what I like to watch, it recommended the documentary Waste Land.  I saw that it was about an artist (named Vik Muniz) working with some recyclers at a landfill and I didn’t expect it to be terribly good.  I assumed that the film was thinly disguised propaganda for recycling.  I was very wrong.  Yes, there is a message about recycling, but it is more about recycling human lives and giving people hope. This was one of the best films I've seen this year and it was beautiful.
I wasn't familiar with Vik’s work, but I was very impressed with what I saw.  His art holds a lot of interest in the interplay between the level of detail up close and in the idea or concept that can be seen from farther away.  The way these two aspects of his art interact and then also knowing the stories of the people who were involved in the making of this art is what captivated me.  The process was just as interesting as the finished product. 
Even if you don’t like art, there are two important messages in this film that we all need to hear at one time or another and the film is worth watching for these:
1.) No matter how bad your life seems, it can ALWAYS be recycled into something beautiful.
2.) There is always hope when one person reaches out to another. We all have that ability to create hope for others.
Go watch the film on Netflix or buy it on Amazon.  You won’t be sorry.

6 comments:

  1. I had not heard of this but will seek it out. I am particularly fond of films about art-making. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, Waste Land sounds like a documentary that I will definitely check out. I love the two points you make- they are such simple concepts that hold so much truth. Thanks for sharing! ~ Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - Actually have watched this - as Netflix reads my mind as well and recommended for me. Sunday afternoons are usually my time for said documentaries and found it to be "more" than I expected it to be and I more than agree with your two points. As always - well said. Thanks - LD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy for the suggestion. When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be about T.S. Eliot who wrote The Wasteland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it really was a beautiful documentary.

    Did you see "Cats of Mirikitani"? (It's another artist-related documentary available on Netflix, and also a good one I thought).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not seen Cats of Mirikitani but just added it to my queue - thanks so much for letting me know about it!

      Delete