Welcome to whatever is on my mind!

Some people use the term "nonsense" but I prefer to use the phrase "uncommonly sensed" because it's more reflective of creative types.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The View From The Tangent

Telling me not to go off on tangents is like telling me that I can’t go home. Because I live on the tangents. That’s where all the interesting things are because they haven’t been trampled underfoot by all the people on the road of common thoughts.

I realize that there’s a place for the conventional. It serves a purpose. But not everyone needs to be there. People like me make life more interesting.

For Example, your meetings may be more productive, but my meetings are more entertaining. People actually like coming to my meetings and things still get done. However, these things are not always done in the way that you’re used to seeing them done.

Furthermore, the tangent is where all the good ideas exist. People like me are brave enough to walk out there and harvest these ideas and we don’t mind doing the work because we were made for it. Don’t forbid people who are comfortable out on the edge the ability to go there. If Thomas Edison hadn’t gone there you’d still be reading by candlelight.

New ideas can change the world. They can make us laugh. Don’t be afraid of creativity. People like me are only dangerous when you restrain us. So let us wander out to the edges of thought. It frees up space in the main thought pool for the rest of you swimming there.

Finally, some people have told me that because I think differently and enjoy life that I don’t take it seriously enough. To those individuals I have only one final thing to say:

Dance to the music while you still can, people.
Because some of you are choosing to make yourselves deaf.

8 comments:

  1. The art is in the tangents....always.. by the way, have you heard the new Wallflowers record, it's great. They pay tribute to The Clash's Joe Stummer....oh wait. me on a tangent.

    Good post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lance - I haven't heard the record yet but I love the Wallflowers and will certainly check it out!

      Delete
  2. Interesting musings, but by definition aren't things trampled at the tangent? Isn't the tangent of a wheel the exact point where it touches the ground? Therefore, whatever is at that exact point (the tangent) will be trampled.

    How is that for a tangential argument both for and against tangents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! That's why we go WAY OUT on that limb. If you stay too close to the wheel you get crushed. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great thoughts Amy! All my life people have thought me a little "crazy" because of the weird way I like to think and create but from my perspective, inspirational tangents are perfectly normal. What a boring world this would be if everyone thought on the same ole plane just to be thought "normal." I love being a little "crazy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. And I'd also like to mention that I don't think you're crazy at all. Creativity is very healthy!

      Delete
  4. You've really got me thinking now. Yes, I'm one of those flabby bodies swimming in the main pool but you make life out on the tangent sound so attractive that I might just dip my toe into your water... at least once in a while anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response, Rosalind. If you can't be out on a tangent, at least you can now appreciate people who are. And that's something!

      Delete