Welcome to whatever is on my mind!

Some people use the term "nonsense" but I prefer to use the phrase "uncommonly sensed" because it's more reflective of creative types.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Plans for My Bookish Trip to New York


I’m headed to New York this Spring for Book Expo America. Since my trip is a very bookish one, I’ve started putting together a list of bookish things to do while there. Here’s what I have so far. Please feel free to list any additional suggestions in the comments.


Central Park
I’ve been to New York a number of times on business and have never had the opportunity to see Central Park. On this trip I'll make time to go there. Aside from all the books that mention the park, such as the famous scene near the end of Catcher in the Rye that takes place at the carousel, there are also statues of writers such as Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott, and William Shakespeare. Bronze writers - how fun is that???

The Algonquin Hotel
Dorothy Parker and the round table. Need I say more?
Note to self: pack extra snark and wit. And shoes that go with snark and wit.

The New York Public Library
I’d really like to meet Winnie the Pooh, and this is where he currently lives along with the original Piglet, Kanga, Eeyore, and Tigger. I'll ask him what it feels like to be 90 and kept in a glass cage.

McSorelys Old Ale House
Many literary types have passed through this pub  - including  John Lennon, who just happens to be one of my favorite lyricists. The pub calls itself the oldest operating saloon in New York and it’s the setting of e e cumming’s poem “i was sitting in mcsorley's” (the title makes it a bit obvious).  Oh yes, Abe Lincoln has been there, too.

Strand Books
I just want to go in there and small all those books! This is an independent family-owned bookstore that opened in 1927. If I can find a member of the Strand family, perhaps I can interview the person and find out what they know that Border’s didn’t.

White Horse Tavern
The famous place where Dylan Thomas drank himself to death (18 shots of whiskey). Other literary patrons who were more modest in their drinking behavior include Jack Kerouac, James Baldwin, and Norman Mailer. Note: by “modest” I simply mean that they stopped before the point of death.

Chumley's
This legendary bar is closed right now due to collapsed chimney a few years ago. But if it opens again I'll be going there to check it out and breathe in the ghosts of literary greatness. Former patrons include writers such as Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, and T S Eliot. It is rumored that Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald’s wedding reception took place there, also.

Minetta Tavern
Another literary tavern rife with the spirits of writers such as Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, Eugene O'Neill, E. E. Cummings, and Dylan Thomas.

Pete’s Tavern
This tavern calls itself “the oldest continuously operating restaurant and bar in New York." O. Henry was a regular customer at the establishment, as it says along the edge of the awning (extra points for subtlety!). I might actually check out the food here so that I have enough energy to make it to the next literary tavern.

This is my list for now. As you can see, I’ll be drinking a lot. It seems to be a tradition for writers in New York and, therefore, I’ll be doing my part to maintain the custom. I hope my traveling buddies are diligently building up a tolerance so they can keep up with me.

9 comments:

  1. Have fun at BEA. I've never been to New York so I can't help much, but let me know when you go to London! LOL. Is your book being showcased at BEA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - my book will also be at the London Book Fair in March, but I won't be there with it (unfortunately - because I would love to go!).

      Delete
  2. Stop at Books of Wonder - best kid's bookstore in the city and a great indie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation - I will add it to my list!

      Delete
  3. Have fun! You have some of my favorite spots on your list (and I don't just mean the library). Cheers!

    Thanks for following my Rose City Reader blog. I am now following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should visit one of the best, if not the best, bookstores in NYC -- McNally-Jackson in SoHo....last time i was there, there were two maps near the cashier that pointed out the places to go in the city and Greenwich Village for those of the literary bent....you know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I will definitely check it out!!!

      Delete